THE WEEK IN HOUSING
RECENT NEWS & UPDATES FROM MINNESOTA NAHRO
Summer is officially here and this member update has the latest on the state eviction moratorium and state budget. Plus join us for the Leadership Retreat in July at Maddens – register TODAY. We can’t wait to see you!
State Eviction Moratorium Off Ramp Advances
Last week the Governor extended the state eviction moratorium into July with the start of the special session. Since then, lawmakers have come to agreement on the state eviction moratorium off ramp along with housing related appropriations. You can view the bill summary here and watch the 30 minute committee hearing which has a good recap of the bill. Here are the key provisions of the state EM phaseout, and key affordable housing appropriations.
Eviction Moratorium Phaseout – effective immediately upon signing by Governor
- Establishes a phaseout period of 105 days after enactment & clarifies that rent and fees are still due during the phaseout period
- Evictions are allowed 15 days after enactment for situations where a tenant materially violates the lease.
- Requires landlord to provide a notice to tenant 15 days before filing an eviction if the eviction is for nonpayment of rent during the 105 days following enactment.
- Prohibits an eviction for nonpayment of rent against a tenant who has a pending application or rental assistance from the federal COVID-19 emergency rental assistance
- Allows landlord to file an eviction 75 days after enactment if the tenant has failed to pay rent and is not eligible for the COVID-19 emergency rental assistance
- Provides that if a tenant has not paid rent and refuses to apply for the COVID-19 rental assistance program, a landlord can proceed on an eviction.
State Appropriations for Affordable Housing
- $100M in Housing Infrastructure Bonds
- Clarifies documentation required for service and support animals
Maintains current funding levels of
- Minnesota Housing programs and allocates an additional $10M in one time funds for certain programs including the Challenge Fund, Manufactured Homepark Infrastructure, Workforce Homeownership, and Homework Starts with Home (see funding opportunity below).
Tax Bill Affordable Housing Provisions
- $10 million annually for the state Affordable Housing Tax Credit
- Resets and freezes 4d Class Rate at 2014 levels.
Homework Starts with Home Funding Opportunity
Minnesota Housing is accepting applications for the Homework Starts with Home (HSWH) program (deadline 8/10). The program supports collaborative efforts between schools, housing organizations and local governments to identify, engage and stabilize students and their families experiencing homelessness. For those interested in applying, more information is available on the website here. You can also watch the information session here (60:04) and view the MHFA 258749. Housing Authorities have been lead partners in this program and with additional funding expected this year, the program will be expanding.
July Leadership Retreat – Register Soon as Room Block Closes June 29
This year our Leadership Retreat will be our first in person event in over 15 months! Our event is always a favorite as it is a great opportunity to connect and learn with your peers. The location is also a favorite at Madden’s Conference Center in Brainerd. Be sure to register for the event and make your lodging reservations soon as the room block closes June 29. Visit our website for event details, lodging information and to register. We look forward to seeing you in July!