The Carol Schultz Educational Scholarship Program
Each year, Minnesota NAHRO awards scholarships for post-secondary educational programs. There are up to three $1,000 Scholarships available. The scholarship winners are also eligible to advance to the regional and national rounds where additional scholarships are awarded.
The scholarships are for residents of publicly-owned housing units or participants in a rent assistance program & may be used for any accredited post-secondary education program, except for graduate or post-graduate programs.
Each year our goal is to award at least two $1,000 scholarships to student applicants who are sponsored by active MN NAHRO Agency Members and selected as winners. Each agency member may sponsor only one applicant. Selected scholars will also be submitted to our regional and national organizations for additional scholarship funding.
This award is dedicated to our very own Carol Schultz of Duluth HRA. Carol retired in 2020 after years of dedicated service to the people of Duluth and to the members of Minnesota NAHRO.
2022 Spring Conference Purple & Paisley Scholarship Event
This is a party with a purpose! We wrap up the last night of our 2022 Spring Conference with all things Purple & Paisley. While we raise money for the NCRC & Minnesota NAHRO Scholarship Fund, we will enjoy the many hits of Prince and party like it’s 2022! Wear your most outrageous Purple & Paisley as there will be prize for the best dressed to our theme. So get your glam on and wear your Raspberry Beret . Register in advance for $25 as it will be $30 at the door. All funds raised will benefit our scholarship fund so sign up today.
Scholarship Information & Eligibility
To be eligible to apply for the Minnesota NAHRO Scholarship Program, an applicant must:
- Be a resident of a publicly-owned housing unit or a participant in a rent assistance program administered by a Minnesota NAHRO agency member.
- Be enrolled in a post-secondary program or be accepted into a post-secondary program beginning in Fall 2022.
- Education programs must be accredited and may not be graduate or post-graduate programs.
- Application due to sponsoring agency member is due prior to the deadline below (contact your local housing authority for specific details)
- Applications due to Minnesota NAHRO March 25, 2022
Scholarships are funded by the proceeds of the many fun activities at the conferences, including golfing, fishing, bingo, and other emerging leaders events
We Lost Our Friend & Colleague Carol Schultz Too Soon
It is with great sadness that I share the unexpected loss of Carol Schultz in December of 2021. Carol was a force of nature in our industry and a wonderful friend to Minnesota NAHRO. As many of you know firsthand, she was an enthusiastic and tireless advocate for so many including Minnesota NAHRO, her beloved city of Duluth, music and the arts. Carol will be greatly missed and her contribution to the affordable housing industry in Minnesota is unmatched. Her family has designated the Carol Schultz Educational Scholarship Program as a recipient of memorial donations made in her honor.
2020 Scholarship Award Recipients
- Arianna Ferguson from Duluth HRA (aslo won at the regional and national levels)
2019 Scholarship Award Recipients
- Emily McKenzie from Duluth HRA (Also won at the regional and national levels)
- Omar Ahmed Abduhalli from Scott County CDA
- Keyri Gutierrez from Worthington HRA
2018 Scholarship Award Recipients
- Sophia Abdullah from Clay County HRA (Also won at the regional and national levels)
- Natasha Gordon from Duluth HRA
2017 Scholarship Award Recipients
- Michelle Russell from St. Louis Park HRA
- Deonna Tate from Scott County CDA
- Laura Garaghty from SEMMCHRA
2016 Scholarship Award Recipients
- Zoe Peterson from St. Louis Park HRA
- Caitlin Strenge from Luverne HRA
- Priscilla Johnson from SEMMCHRA
2015 Scholarship Award Recipients
- Dillion Weimann from Dakota County CDA
- Veronika Vodolazska-West from Duluth HRA
2014 Scholarship Award Recipients
- Jenna Clobes from St. Louis Park HRA
- Jasmyne Hamilton from St. Paul PHA
- Ramsey Tanner from Luverne HRA
2013 Scholarship Award Recipients
- Choua Xiong from Duluth HRA
- Feyeso Ombe from St. Paul PHA
- Bret Salter from Clay County HRA
- Brittany Edman from Luverne HRA