Associate Director – Housing and Economic Development
City of Mankato, Minnesota
SALARY: $45.18-$53.09 Hourly / $93,981.58-$110,428.36 Annually
Under the direction and supervision of the Director of Community Development, the Associate Director for Housing and Economic Development oversees, plans, coordinates, and participates in the activities of the City’s public housing, Section 8, other rental assistance programs, and economic development programs; supervises the Housing Coordinator and other administrative and technical staff; is required to make daily decisions based upon federal regulations and a high level of independent judgment, is expected to clearly communicate verbally and in writing; and may be required to make informed decisions quickly in emergency situations and direct staff in emergency situations.
DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supervises and coordinates staff and intern work assignments and directs information, consultation, and negotiations with local businesses and prospective developers.
- Operates within the parameters of the industrial development marketing joint agreements when so directed by such agreements, i.e. the Regional Economic Development Alliance agreement.
- Oversees the administration and operation of Public Housing and Section 8 programs, and program personnel; and oversees the administration and operation of Blue Earth County Public Housing and Section 8 programs and program personnel.
- Supervises and coordinates staff work assignments and directs information and fiscal management in relation to public housing programs, section 8, housing development, and redevelopment.
- Prepares annual budgets for submittal to City Finance Department and funding agencies.
- Oversees the preparation of the Public Housing Agency Plans, Capital Fund Program financial reports, Public Housing Assessment System certifications, Line of Credit Control System, and all HUD paper and electronic report submissions.
- Oversees developing and coordinating the implementation of operational priorities and objectives for public housing, Section 8, and economic development in alignment with the City’s strategic plan.
- Researches and prepares public housing, Section 8, and economic development policy and implementation proposals; consults with other city staff to assure compliance of policies and proposals with City codes, ordinances and other regulations.
- Prepares and administers state and federal grants. Ensures that all administrative and regulatory requirements of the grants are fulfilled.
- Reviews legislative proposals and advises the Community Development Director on the impact of legislative proposals.
- Supervises and participates in the preparation of grant applications, tax increment financing plans, and loan documents and on-going administration and reporting of grants, tax increment financing projects, and loan programs.
- Assists in marketing and sale or acquisition of real estate for housing or economic development purposes.
- Provides staffing and operations support to the City’s Economic Development Authority and to the Blue Earth County Economic Development Authority.
- Makes presentations to a wide variety of groups as assigned or apparent.
- Assists in the review of development and redevelopment plans for housing and economic development projects and, with the Community Development Director, assures compliance with City regulations.
- Oversees the coordination of capital improvement projects in the public housing area.
- Coordinates the development of financing packages for development proposals and reviews them with other City staff to assure compliance with strategic goals.
- Meets and collaborates with contracted development organizations, other local governments, and a variety of governmental agencies on issues involving housing or economic development.
- Performs physical demands and work environment requirements for this position.
- Attendance during regularly scheduled work hours, and outside regular hours as necessary.
- In the absence of the Director of Community Development, supervises the Department in coordination with the Associate Director of Planning and Development Services.
ADDITIONAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB:
- Effectively and respectfully communicates and interacts with supervisors, other employees, individuals from other organizations, and citizen customers.
- Supervises and trains staff as needed and as available.
- Communicates work activities and projects information regularly to the Community Development Director.
- Performs other related functions as assigned or apparent.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, public administration, urban studies, housing, or related field; and at least ten (10) years of relevant full-time work experience, five (5) years of personnel or major program supervision experience, a demonstrated ability in most aspects of housing and/or economic development, an ability to communicate ideas, explanations, and recommendations clearly, both verbally and in writing.
ALTERNATIVE MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- Master’s degree in business administration, public administration, urban studies, housing, or related field; and at least five (5) years of relevant full-time work experience, and a demonstrated ability in most aspects of housing and economic development; with two (2) years of personnel or major program supervision experience.
- Master’s degree in the described fields; program or personnel supervisory experience; experience in working with the Minnesota Department of Economic Development; U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD); and/or Minnesota Housing Finance Agency (MHFA); and experience in communicating directly with policy-making boards.
HOURS OF WORK:
Regular working hours are typically Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and outside of regular hours as necessary.
MORE INFORMATION AND APPLY ONLINE: https://www.mankatomn.gov/jobs
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Wednesday, August 4, 2021-11:59 p.m.
Contact: Diane Biedscheid, City of Mankato Human Resources, (507) 387-8664 or [email protected]