Minnesota NAHRO 2023 State Legislative Session Recap
Minnesota NAHRO adopted a legislative agenda based on three priorities: People, Production, and Preservation. Our advocacy efforts shared stories of how important empowering Minnesotans to thrive through increased access to safe and stable homes, increasing the supply of affordable housing for all low-income Minnesotans, and keeping communities strong by preserving public and naturally occurring affordable housing is to the well-being of our state.
The overall investment in affordable housing listed below are for the FY24-25 biennium which includes $1 Billion in one time money, $50 million in on-going funds plus an additional $400 million annually in the 7 metro counties. Moreover, the bonding bill includes $79 million for housing and $21 million for shelter capital projects.
Here are just a few of tools and resources that will impact HRAs directly across the full continuum of housing:
- Local Affordable Housing Aid – $294 million (NEW)
- State Rent Assistance Program – $134.3 million (NEW)
- Greater Minnesota Workforce Housing Development – $39 million (NEW)
- Challenge Fund – $120.85 million
- Community Stabilization (NOAH) – $90 million (NEW)
- Emergency Rental Assistance – $115.5 million
- Workforce Homeownership Program – $20.5 million (NEW)
- Homeownership Down Payment Assistance – $150 million (NEW)
Minnesota NAHRO will continue to provide updates and training to help our members better understand these resources and provide training on how to leverage these investments to impact their community.