Open until filled; initial review begins 9/8/23
The Douglas County Housing and Redevelopment Authority (Douglas County HRA) is seeking a new State Voucher Coordinator. The primary job of this position is to oversee the administration of the state and local rental assistance and security deposit programs for applicants, voucher holders and landlords. These programs provide temporary rental assistance, security deposits, and access to housing supports and supportive services for people with mental illness in accordance with Minnesota Statutes Section 462A.2097.
Secondary position is to greet, welcome and direct clients and visitors who have appointments at the office. Additional administration duties may include sorting mail, directing phone calls and occasionally assisting other program staff with inspections, scanning or data entry. Douglas County HRA’s mission is to “provide safe, comfortable, and affordable housing; economic opportunity; and a suitable living environment free from discrimination”.
The Special Programs person will be required to work onsite at the Douglas County HRA office and report directly to the Executive Director. Responsibilities include the direct management and oversight of the state and local rental assistance and security deposit programs. Local and regional travel will be required at times as well as attendance at training events either in person or virtually.
Duties to include:
- Qualify Applicants: interviews, third party verifications, sex offender registry check, debts owed to other PHAs check, income eligibility calculations and verification of mental illness by a licensed medical professional in a timely manner of program requirements—annual recertification, interim changes, and special adjustments.
- Assist new voucher holders find and lease-up units.
- Performs general data entry into Housing Data Software system to maintain a waiting list of current applicants and compile data for reports.
- Maintain well-organized hardcopy tenant files.
- Understand key documents and incorporate into day-to-today program administration: forms and their expiration dates, income limits, fair market rents, payment standards, and administrative fees, etc.
- Complete, issue, obtain signatures and send executed contracts to landlords.
- Serve as liaison with current and new landlords: explaining program guidelines, educating regarding landlord/tenant leases and payment contract to promote a larger landlord pool for clients.
- Assist, provide information and help resolve landlord and tenant issues relating to program participation.
- Complete inspection of units and facilitate repairs options to landlords for units failing inspections.
- Respond to calls (high call volume at times) addressing tenant concerns, landlord concerns, reported voucher violations, fraud or discrimination complaints.
Work hours are Monday through Thursday 8:00 to 4:30 and Fridays 8:00 to 4:00 onsite at the Douglas County HRA office. The salary range for this position is $41,600.00 to $56,160.00, in keeping with consideration of experience and qualifications. In addition, the Douglas County HRA offers a competitive comprehensive benefit package that consists of health insurance, retirement plan, health savings account, competitive paid vacation package, and fourteen paid holiday’s including birthday.
Special Programs Qualifications / Skills:
- Motivation and marketing skills
- Familiarity with applicable local, state, and federal housing laws and regulations
- High level of organization and attention to detail
- Competence with office management software
- Internal communications
Education, Experience, and Licensing Requirements:
- Driver’s license (required)
- High school diploma, GED, or equivalent
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration or equivalent experience preferred
- 3-5 years’ experience in the same, or similar, position preferred
- Housing Quality Standards Certification or similar training a plus
- Solid knowledge of office software such as Microsoft Outlook, Excel, and Word
Douglas County HRA is committed to social, racial, gender, and economic justice and strongly encourages women, veterans, persons with disabilities, and individuals who identify as BIPOC or LGBTQ to apply. We will begin reviewing applications on September 8th, 2023. The position will be open until filled. Interested candidates to send an electronic letter of introduction and résumé to [email protected], or a hard copy to the Douglas County HRA, Attn: Emajean Hanson-Ford, Box 965, Alexandria, MN 56308.