Open until filled. Salary: $26.54 per hour
Department/Location: Public Housing Program / AMP 6, CHR, AMP 1
The primary purpose of this position is to perform interior and exterior building maintenance activities for AMP high-rise buildings and scattered site properties. The incumbent performs a variety of repair duties, including plumbing, drainage, electrical, carpentry, and masonry. The incumbent also assists building and grounds staff with janitorial duties, including cleaning vacant units and removing snow.
All activities must support the Minneapolis Public Housing Authority’s (‘MPHA’ or ‘Authority’) mission, vision and values.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The position duties and responsibilities listed below describe the general nature and scope of work. Other responsibilities, duties and skills may be required and assigned, as needed.
- Responds to interior and exterior building maintenance and repair work orders.
- Performs a wide variety of general maintenance and repair functions including mechanical, heating, household appliance, drainage, plumbing, electrical, carpentry, masonry maintenance, and repairs of moderate complexity.
- Repairs or replaces leaking kitchen and bathroom fixtures and drains. Unplugs sink, tub, and toilet drains.
- Adjusts, repairs, and replaces cabinet doors, drawers, and related hardware. Adjusts, repairs, and/or replaces interior and exterior door locksets and cores. Adjusts, repairs, and/or replaces windows and screens.
- Troubleshoots, responds and/or repairs minor electrical problems with appliances, including stoves, refrigerators, furnaces, hot water heaters, and smoke detectors. May install replacement kitchen appliances.
- Repairs and adjusts trash compaction equipment.
- Maintains, adjusts, and makes minor repairs to power equipment.
- Clears clogged main sanitary sewer drains using power drain cleaning equipment.
- Trims trees using hand and power tools.
- Cleans and flushes gutters and downspouts and makes minor exterior building repairs to roofs, doors, exterior walls, and foundations for scattered site properties.
- Removes heavy debris and trash from MPHA properties. Exchanges refuse dumpsters in high-rise properties.
- Operates snow removal equipment including truck-mounted plows and salt/sand distribution equipment.
- Maintains logs and records regarding vacant units, snow removal, vehicle maintenance, daily time records, etc.
- Maintains and repairs building, walkway, and driveway masonry and asphalt surfaces.
- Attends and participates in staff meetings and training, as required.
- Performs all duties and responsibilities in compliance with standard operating and established safety procedures. Uses, maintains, and replaces assigned personal protective equipment (PPE) as needed.
- May pick up and deliver building maintenance and repair equipment, supplies, and appliances, as assigned.
- Performs after-hours duty as assigned.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
MPHA expects all employees to exhibit the following behavioral skills:
Customer Service: Meets/exceeds the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; identifies, understands monitors and measures the needs of both internal and external customers; talks and acts with customers in mind; and recognizes working colleagues as customers.
Commitment: Sets high standards of performance; pursues aggressive goals and works hard/smart to achieve them; strives for results and success; conveys a sense of urgency and brings issues to closure; and persists despite obstacles and opposition.
Effective Communication: Employee is prepared, clear, concise and organized in all facets of communication in order to fully establish understanding. Actively listens and understands the audience to adapt message appropriately. Communicates information with appropriate personnel in a timely manner.
Teamwork: Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests; supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
Initiative: Proactively seeks solutions to resolve unexpected challenges. Actively assists others without formal/informal direction. Possesses the capacity to learn and actively seeks developmental feedback. Applies feedback for continued growth by mastering concepts needed to perform work.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The work environment requires a demonstrated ability to interact effectively with persons from diverse economic, social, and ethnic backgrounds, including new immigrants, limited English language proficiency clients, and clients with a variety of mental health issues and other disabilities.
Position generally works on Authority properties, which may cause the employee to experience a range in temperatures and other weather conditions. The noise level may be loud and the environment may be more hazardous than a standard office environment. This position may be required to work with contractors as well as Authority residents.
Experience and Skills
Education and/or Experience
High School Diploma or GED, plus three to five years related residential/building maintenance experience. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered. Vocational training focused on plumbing, appliance, or electrical repairs or other on-the-job training/continued education is desirable.
Some positions may require possession of a valid driver’s license. Those positions may also require use of a personal vehicle and evidence of individual automobile insurance coverage, or the ability to be insurable under the Authority’s automobile insurance plan at the standard rate. This position may also require access to reliable private transportation during the workday and when assigned to after-hours duty. Must pass a criminal history background check.